Join us for the next Art : Dialog meeting on Sunday, April 7 from 11:00 am–3:00 pm. This is an opportunity to gather with other Detroit-area artists to talk about “all things art” and to share what we seem never to have time to discuss with each other. The meeting is free and open to anyone with an interest in connecting with other creative spirits. Then at 3:00 pm, please stay for casual conversation in our gallery with encaustic artist Melissa Rian to learn more about her and the work shown here in her first solo exhibition.
The featured discussion topic for this session is “Presenting Your Work”:
- How do you mat/frame your work?
- Have you tried something innovative?
- Do you have a preferred framer or DIY?
- What problems do you encounter?
- What presentation of your work have you found galleries or artist groups prefer?
- Do you title, sign, and/or date your work?
We will be joined by Melissa Rian, who has worked as a framer and will share her knowledge and discuss this important topic with us.
There will be ample opportunity, too, for casual conversation and discussion of other topics:
- Exhibition opportunities or must-see shows
- Professional art practices
- Studio materials and tips
- What’s on your bookshelf worth reading
If you choose, bring one or more pieces of your work to share with us or to receive honest, constructive feedback from other, like-minded artists during the second part of the session.
We will be meeting at Color | Ink Studio, located at 20919 John R Rd. in Hazel Park—two short blocks north of 8 Mile on the west side of John R at the corner of George Ave. The entrance is on the south (8 Mile) side of the building, with ample parking in the lot and additional parking available on the side streets. Coffee, tea, water and light snacks will be available.
Please RSVP by registering so we can be sure to have enough seats for everyone. And feel free to invite others!